Combine Harvesters S- Series and STS Combines
Types Recommended by Crop.
Best: Provides the best level of performance.
Good: Provides a good level of performance.
Average: Provides an average level of performance.
NR: Not recommended.
NOTES: For specialty and seed crops, always use the best-rated concave configuration.
- Large-wire concaves are not recommended for greater than 25 percent moisture corn. Matting of green, leafy material significantly reduces separating capacity.
- Optional threshing inserts are available to improve threshing ability in tough threshing varieties or conditions.
- Optional threshing inserts are required in the first concave to improve threshing ability. Tough threshing conditions may require additional threshing inserts in the second and third concaves.
- Optional concave closure covers are available to improve threshing ability and sample cleanliness (white caps, snapped heads, unthreshed pods). Recommended for tough, damp, hard-to-thresh conditions only. Removal of every other wire is recommended for best grain quality results.
- Recommended for normal, dry, easy-to-thresh edible bean harvesting conditions.
Combine Concaves – Large Wire
Large-wire concaves are standard on S-Series and STS Series rice combines and available as an option on corn and small-grain combines. Selection of the correct concave configuration is a key component to the performance of the combine in a wide variety of crops and conditions. Three configurations are available as field installed bundle. The chart above is provided as a guide to assist in the selection of the concave type that best suits each producer's needs. Contact AHW for more information.
Combine Concaves – Round Bar
Round-bar concaves are standard equipment on corn combines and are recommended for use in corn and soybeans. To choose the concaves see chart above.
The front concave section is heat-treated. All three sections are available to be heat-treated as an option or in the extended-wear separator package. Round-bar concaves are the recommended concave when harvesting rice. Large-wire concaves can also be used for harvesting soybeans and dry (below 25 percent) corn.
NOTE: Round-bar concave inserts are available as a bundle attachment and are recommended for use with round-bar concaves in small grain. This field-installed bundle includes a set of two inserts and attaching hardware for use in the front concave section only. Extended wear is only available through the bundle number BH84226.
Round-bar concaves provide maximum grain quality and productivity when harvesting corn or soybeans and are recommended for use in specialty crops such as edible beans and food corn.
Small-wire concaves are are recommended for use in wheat, barley, and other cereal crops. To choose the concaves that best fit the operation, see chart above. The small-wire concaves are recommended for use in specialty crops such as grass seed.
IMPORTANT: Not recommended for use in corn.
The small-wire concaves are also available as an option with boronized treatment for extended-wear life. This process penetrates the surface of the concave with a layer of hard wear-resistant material, extending the life of the concave up to twice as long, and is available in the extended-wear separator package.
Disclaimer: These are recommendations only. Each application has its on challenges. The framer must take all conditions in consideration before using a certain concave.